"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn’t do it."
- William S. Burroughs
Dear GOCRA supporters,
The Minnesota Legislature will convene tomorrow, and given the media coverage of recent events, there is little doubt that gun control will be on the agenda of many metro legislators.
The threats we face
With Mark Dayton in the Governor’s mansion and DFL majorities in both the House and the Senate, that poses a real and significant threat. The House Public Safety Finance and Policy Committee is chaired by Rep. Michael Paymar (DFL, 64B, St. Paul), who has been a leading voice in destroying your rights.
In the Senate, the Transportation and Public Safety Committee will be led by Sen. Scott Dibble (DFL, 61, Minneapolis). We expect him to attempt a so-called "assault weapon" ban, and Sen. John Marty (DFL, 66, Roseville) is already pushing licensing and registration of your legally owned guns.
Our secret weapon
Things look dire, but we have a secret weapon: you.
The gun control "movement" isn’t grass-roots: it’s Astroturf. A tiny minority of misguided, zealots, funded by the deep pockets of limousine liberals and foundations, make a lot of noise, but have no real popular support.
On the other hand, the gun rights community is real, large, and engaged. That will be vital in the coming days and weeks.
What you can do
- Call your Minnesota senator and representative today! Their info at the bottom of this email. If it’s missing, you haven’t told us where you live. That’s vital information when we need to make sure that certain representatives hear from their gun-owning constituents. Please click the link and give us your address, so we can get your help when needed most.
- Email your Minnesota senator and representative. Your message should be short, polite, and in your own words:
- I’m a constituent
- I’m a law-abiding gun owner
- I oppose ANY new restrictions on my freedoms
- The legislature should deal with the criminals and the insane, but not blame or punish us for their actions
- I support the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance and their mission (and you should, too!)
- Forward this email to your friends and family! Encourage them to sign up for these emails. Together, we are powerful.
- Send a donation! For the last 23 years, we’ve run on a shoestring, and many activists have paid with their own wealth, careers and family time to support, defend and advance your rights. With the threats we face today, a pure volunteer effort may not be enough. Any amount you can spare — $50, $25, even $10 will help. Think about this: If every carry permit holder sent us a dollar a year, we’d have a full-time attorney working for your rights. If every gun owner sent us a buck a year, we’d have a busy staff working full time for you.
Still have energy? Great! We need it!
- Write a letter to the editor of your local paper. In 100 words or less, tell them that as a law-abiding gun owner, you should not be blamed or punished for the actions of criminals and crazies.
Stay tuned; we’ll have more news in the coming days, and some exciting opportunities.
Reminder: We’re training teachers and principals to protect schools!
GOCRA Calls on Schools to Better Protect Children, Offers Free Training
Civil Rights Group Calls on Schools to Better Protect Children, Offers Free Training
St. Paul, Minn. – In the wake of yet another massacre in a “gun-free” zone, Minnesota’s Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance is offering free defensive handgun training for any school staff member who receives legal written permission to carry at a public or private licensed day care or K-12 school.
Please forward this email to gun owners and civil rights supporters, and ask them to sign up at http://www.gocra.org/join.html
GOCRA – P. O. Box 131254 – St. Paul, MN 55113