Earlier this year, Senator Matt Klein and Rep. Erin Murphy introduced HF 2891 & SF 2726 – a law that removed privacy protections for data about law-abiding gun owners from Minnesota’s privacy laws.
Currently, the Minnesota Department of Health is prohibited from collecting information about law-abiding gun ownership in Minnesota. Senator Klein and Rep. Murphy propose to allow for the collection of data for “public health study”.
MN Gun Owners Caucus Political Director Rob Doar and I met with Senator Klein earlier this year where we asked him what research was being stopped by this clause in Minnesota law – a question that he could not answer – stating only that it had a “chilling effect.”
There is no reason to lift this critically important privacy protection in Minnesota law – information about law-abiding gun owners is not needed in order to research violent crime, homicides involving a firearm, or other criminal actions.
They want to be able to research law-abiding gun owners – and use that data to push their gun control agenda.
The anti-gun group Protect Minnesota is targeting this bill for action this week – let’s make sure that the voices of law-abiding gun owners OVERWHELM their anti-gun callers.
Today’s action is to call both Senator Klein and Rep. Murphy and tell them you oppose their bill.
Then, call the Chair of the House & Senate Health & Human Services Committees and tell them you oppose their bill and that no hearings should be held. Keep in mind that both Chairs are our allies and are solidly in favor of gun rights.
ACTIONS TO TAKE TODAY:
- Call Rep. Murphy at 651-296-8799: Tell her you oppose her anti-gun research bill and her entire anti-gun agenda.
- Follow-up with a brief e-mail to Rep. Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be polite, but firm.
- Call Senator Klein at 651-296-4370: Tell him you oppose his anti-gun research bill and his entire anti-gun agenda.
- Follow-up with a brief e-mail to Senator Klein via his web form. Be polite, but firm.
- Call the Chair of the Senate Health and Human Services Finance and Policy Committee:
- Senator Michelle Benson: 651-296-3219 – Remember, she’s an ally. Thank her for her support for gun owners in Minnesota and ask her not to call this legislation for a hearing.
- Follow-up with a brief e-mail to Senator Benson via her web form.
- Call the Chair of the House Health and Human Services Reform Committee:
- Rep. Joe Schomacker: 651-296-5505 – Remember, he’s an ally. Thank him for his support for gun owners in Minnesota and ask him not to call this legislation for a hearing.
- Follow-up with a brief e-mail to Rep. Schomacker at email@example.com.
- If you have a few extra minutes, call your Senator and Representative and let them know you oppose HF 2891 and SF 2726.