The Eden Prairie, MN City Council has been holding public debate over the past few weeks about attempting to ban “assault weapons” from being sold in the city and raising the age for purchasing a firearm from 18 to 21.
This effort is being driven by a small group of anti-gun activists in the city who have been putting pressure on the city council.
On the city council, Council Member Ron Case is the one that is pushing for action on “gun violence prevention”.
Any such ban would be purely symbolic because Minnesota law pre-empts the ability for a city to regulate firearms – such decisions are left only to the state legislature.
Our action for today is to e-mail and call the Eden Prairie City Council and demand they drop this ridiculous effort. If you’re a resident of Eden Prairie, or someone who works, visits, or shops there regularly, please come to the City Council meeting on Tuesday, May 15th, at 5:30 pm.
ACTIONS TO TAKE TODAY:
- E-Mail all members of the Eden Prairie City Council by sending an e-mail to AllCouncil@edenprairie.org.
- Tell them you’re a law-abiding gun owner who lives, works, shops, or visits Eden Prairie (pick whatever is applicable and factual).
- Let them know how this resolution would impact you.
- Tell them in your own words why you believe this to be the wrong approach.
- Call all members of the Eden Prairie City Council: reiterate your message. Be polite, but firm.
- Mayor Nancy Tyra-Lukens, 952-949-8593
- Brad Aho, 952-303-6884
- Sherry Butcher Wickstrom, 612-296-3721
- Ron Case, 952-949-0915
- Kathy Nelson, 952-941-6613
- If you live, work, visit, or shop in Eden Prairie, please plan on showing up to the Eden Prairie City Council Meeting tomorrow night, Tuesday, May 15th, starting at 5:30 pm.
- 5:30 pm: City Council Workshop to discuss ordinance and zoning changes for gun shops. This will happen in the Heritage Room in the Eden Prairie City Center at 8080 Mitchell Road.
- 6:30 pm: Open Podium – an opportunity for the republic to speak before the council. This and the following council meeting will occur in the City Council Chambers at the Eden Prairie City Center at 8080 Mitchell Road.
- If you a resident of Eden Prairie, call the City Manager at 952-949-8412 and request a reserved time slot to speak on this issue before the council.
- 7:00 pm – City Council Meeting: Any discussion, debate, and vote will happen here.
Please make the calls, send the email, and show up if you can. We need to put a halt to this ridiculous effort before other cities get the same idea.