DAILY ACTION FOR MARCH 20th, 2018
As we shared yesterday, today in the House Public Safety Committee meeting, Rep. Dave Pinto will attempt to get his two gun control bills “off the table” for a full debate and attempt to pass them out of committee.
Thursday is the committee deadline, which technically means these bills are dead if not passed out of committee by that time.
As a reminder, those two bills are:
- HF 1605: Gun Violence Restraining Orders
- This bill creates a new type of restraining order that allows a judge to order your firearms seized without you being present at a hearing based upon an accusation. We have significant due process concerns about this legislation.
- HF 1669: Universal Background Checks
- This bill would make all private sales and transfers illegal – all transactions of a firearm would have to go through a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL or Gun Shop). This bill creates a significant burden on law-abiding citizens and does little to improve public safety.
We testified against both of these bills – and our allies on the committee voted to table them for the time being.
Rep. Pinto’s move today is a procedural motion and there will be no debate or public testimony.
While we expect the motion to be voted down and we’re not asking folks to attend the hearing, we need you to call and email members of the House Public Safety Committee and encourage them to stand strong against these Bloomberg-backed gun control bills.
ACTIONS TO TAKE TODAY:
- Contact your legislator: Tell them you are opposed to these bills and you expect them to tell members of the Committee about their opposition. Follow-up with an email. Find your legislator at this link if needed.
- Contact members of the House Public Safety Committee. Tell them you are opposed to these bills and you expect them to VOTE NO on any motion to bring these bills off the table. Follow-up with an email. Call and e-mail them all.
- Chair: Brian Johnson, 651-296-4346, email@example.com
- Vice Chair: Kathy Lohmer, 651-296-4244, firstname.lastname@example.org
- GOP Members
- Keith Franke, 651-296-4342, email@example.com
- Matt Grossell, 651-296-4265, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff Howe, 651-296-4373, email@example.com
- Eric Lucero, 651-296-1534, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Newberger, 651-296-2451, email@example.com
- Marion O’Neill, 651-296-5063, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Uglem, 651-296-5513, email@example.com
- Nick Zerwas, 651-296-4237, firstname.lastname@example.org
- DFL Members
- DFL Lead: Debra Hilstrom, 651-296-3709, email@example.com
- Jamie Becker-Finn, 651-296-7153, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jack Considine Jr., 651-296-3248, email@example.com
- Raymond Dehn, 651-296-8659, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Pinto, 651-296-4199, email@example.com
- JoAnn Ward, 651-296-7807, firstname.lastname@example.org