Guns and freedom come together or they go together.
- Gov. Christie Vetoes Bill Requiring Gun Shops to Sell Smart Guns – 2016-01-19 15:21:15-05
Governor Chris Christie has received a lot of flack for his record on guns in New Jersey, and the other Republican presidential candidates let him know it in the last debate. Now it seems the Governor is trying to change his image on guns with the latest veto of a gun law that would have Continue reading here…
- Judge Rejects Obama’s Attempt to Conceal Fast and Furious Records Under Executive Privilege – 2016-01-19 20:33:53-05
No matter what President Obama says on gun control or “gun safety” as he likes to call it, none of us will ever forget how the government program of Fast and Furious led to thousands of guns being sent to drug lords in Mexico. The president would like his legacy to be one of gun Continue reading here…
- Concealed Carry Requests Skyrocket in San Bernardino as Backlog Frustrates Citizens – 2016-01-20 10:03:38-05
Residents of San Bernardino County have come to the realization that being disarmed does not make one safer, and now more than ever people are requesting concealed carry permits. USA Today reported that just one month after the San Bernardino attacks that killed 14 people, concealed carry permit requests jumped up 9 times in the Continue reading here…
- .50 Cal Fast and Furious Rifle Found in El Chapo Hideout – 2016-01-20 11:13:34-05
Just a day after we reported that a federal judge has denied Obama’s executive privilege claim over Fast and Furious records we have discovered that a .50 caliber rifle was found in El Chapo’s hideout. The gun-smuggling investigation sent thousands of guns into the hands of drug cartels in Mexico, and the Obama administration has Continue reading here…
- Pizza Guy with 1911 .45 ACP Stops Armed Robber at Mall – 2016-01-20 14:07:45-05
Thanks to the efforts of a man carrying a 1911 .45 ACP pistol an armed robber was stopped at an Anchorage, Alaska mall on Sunday afternoon. A security guard at the mall was not enough to stop the robber, who had stuffed $1,200 worth of clothing into a bag and was struggling with the security Continue reading here…
- Armed Chemistry Teacher Saves Lives of Students During Taliban School Attack – 2016-01-21 11:01:33-05
The Taliban carried out a deadly attack at a Pakistani school. 21 were pronounced dead, but at least one Chemistry teacher saved lives as he fought off the attackers, giving the students time to escape. Some in the teachers association had objected to arming the staff because “it was not their job to fight off Continue reading here…
- Armed Robber Outnumbered by Two Armed Store Clerks Who Fired Back – 2016-01-21 12:26:21-05
In this defensive gun use it was two armed good guys who fired back at the armed robber, stopping another violent criminal. The owner of the Deerfield Beach, Florida convenience store says he makes no apologies for keeping half a dozen guns stashed in his store for security threats like the one his store just Continue reading here…
- [VIDEO] Gunny Names His Favorite Gun of All Time – 2016-01-21 13:39:30-05
Retired U.S. Marine R. Lee Ermey sat down with TheBlaze at 2016’s SHOT Show to talk about the second season of his Outdoor Channel show, “Gunny Time.”
- Anti-Gun Senator Wants to Debate Gun Control and Leave the Constitution Out of It – 2016-01-21 14:35:34-05
Sometimes I see these stories and I just have to shake my head. It never ceases to amaze me to what lengths the anti-gun movement will go in order to disarm the law abiding. The US Senate plans on holding a hearing on gun control, but at least one Senator wants to make sure that Continue reading here…
- Comcast Demands Gun Images Be Removed from Ads for Outdoors Show, NRA Says No – 2016-01-22 11:50:37-05
In another example of political correctness gone nonsensical, Comcast has ordered the NRA to remove guns, and gun images from its ads promoting the outdoors show in Pennsylvania. The media giant says it will not air the ads until the images have been removed. In an email to the NRA Comcast did not explain what Continue reading here…
The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) published an open letter to President Obama to address dishonest statements he made about the gun industry.
Dear Mr. President:
The men and women of America’s firearms and ammunition industry are profoundly disappointed by your statements that we stand in the way of improving public safety.
We are America’s gun safety experts, in the true meaning of that phrase. We provide the firearms to our nation’s military, law enforcement agencies and the civilian market for hunting, target shooting and self-defense.
Mr. President, we share the goal of reducing the intentional misuse of guns and enhancing the safety of our communities. We work toward that goal every day.
- We launched our FixNICSSM initiative in 2013 to encourage the states to report all appropriate adjudicated mental health and criminal records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. We have succeeded in getting legislation passed in 16 states to help enable this outcome. We welcome your administration’s attention to this issue.
- We are Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs). Most firearm sales at gun shows and over the Internet are made by licensed retailers and currently receive background checks. We support further resources for staffing and increasing operational hours for the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to make the system more responsive.
- We have long called for effective enforcement of the many laws already on the books covering the criminal misuse of firearms and would encourage the administration to carry through on this directive. Our industry’s “Don’t Lie for the Other GuyTM” anti-straw purchasing program, 100 percent funded by the industry and run in cooperation with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, would gain resonance through vigorous prosecutions of offenders.
- Through “Project ChildSafe” and our manufacturers’ new-gun sales, the industry has distributed 100 million free gun locks. Run without any taxpayer assistance for seven years, Project ChildSafe’s effectiveness is recognized by its adoption by 15,000 law enforcement departments nationwide.
- Our industry has never opposed development of “Smart Gun Technology.” We have serious concerns about the safety and advisability of the concepts involved. Accordingly, law enforcement agencies and consumers themselves will have to determine whether firearms with this technology “would be consistent with operational needs,” as your team points out. We oppose legal mandates for this technology, particularly since there are well-proven methods to secure firearms, and firearms accidents are at 100-year low levels.
Our traditions are strongly held, underpinned by the constitutionally-protected lawful commerce in firearms. Our hundreds of thousands of employees, and the families that depend on them, are not your enemies, and we deeply resent being cast in that light.
Doctors vs Guns
(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is
Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
(Yes, that’s 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths
per year, all age groups is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is
Statistics courtesy of FBI
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN. But almost everyone will see a doctor at some point! Better take your GUN!
The president’s townhall and New York Times op-ed piece illustrate his slipperiness.
1. The mass shooting bait and switch. As he did in his speech on Tuesday, Obama last night repeatedly invoked mass shootings to justify policies that would not have prevented them. He presented “sensible background checks” as a way to make sure that families “don’t have to go through what the families at Newtown or San Bernardino or Charleston went through.” But in those and the other recent mass shootings—as the surprisingly skeptical moderator, Anderson Cooper, pointed out—”none of the guns were purchased from an unlicensed dealer.” That means background checks were performed and demonstrably did not stop the shootings. Obama himself conceded that “the young man who killed those kids in Newtown, he didn’t have a criminal record, and so we didn’t know ahead of time, necessarily, that he was going to do something like that.” Given this reality, offering background checks as a solution to mass shootings is patently dishonest.
2. The argument from emotion. As I noted on Wednesday, Obama’s policy proposals are all about showing that his heart is in the right place, which is why he so easily shrugs off questions about whether they would actually work. The implication is that people who oppose his proposals simply do not care, or at least do not care enough. In his New York Times essay, he appeals to “the vast majority of responsible gun owners” who “support common-sense gun safety” because they “grieve with us after every mass shooting.” You either grieve with us, or you’re against us. If you feel bad about murdered children, you have no choice but to support Obama’s gun control agenda. A CNN survey suggests that focusing on intentions rather than results can be an effective strategy: While “67% of those asked [said] they favor the changes” Obama unveiled this week, “57% of those polled also said that the measures would not be effective in reducing the number of people killed by guns.”
3. The false crisis. “The epidemic of gun violence in our country is a crisis,” Obama declares in the opening line of his op-ed piece. But as he was forced to admit at the townhall, the murder rate in this country has reached historically low levels after declining for years. “Every year,” he writes, “more than 30,000 Americans have their lives cut short by guns.” But as he mentioned during the townhall, two-thirds of the “30,000 deaths due to gun violence” are suicides. If the “gun violence” problem consists mainly of people taking their own lives, why does Obama keep talking about mass shootings, which account for a tiny percentage of homicides and an even smaller share of gun-related deaths? Presumably because they are scary and get a lot of attention. Yet the gun control solutions he proposes have nothing to do with mass shootings and little to do with preventing suicides, except to the extent that people who kill themselves have previously undergone court-ordered psychiatric treatment.
4. Cost blindness. In the Times, referring to the gun-related “executive actions” he announced on Tuesday, Obama says, “These actions won’t prevent every act of violence, or save every life—but if even one life is spared, they will be well worth the effort.” This formulation completely overlooks the other side of the ledger, which includes not just the dollars spent (money that potentially could save more lives if it were spent on something else) but the burdens imposed on law-abiding gun owners and on Americans unjustly deprived of their constitutional rights by expanded background checks.
5. Skepticism of armed self-defense. “I respect people who want a gun for self-protection,” Obama claimed during the townhall, but that clearly is not true. Later, in response to a rape victim who keeps a gun at home to protect herself and her family, he questioned the value of keeping a gun at home to protect yourself and your family. “There are always questions as to whether or not having a firearm in the home protects you from that kind of violence,” he said, warning that “there’s always the possibility that that firearm in a home leads to a tragic accident.” He conceded that “there are times where somebody who has a weapon has been able to protect themselves and scare off an intruder or an assailant” but claimed “what is more often the case is that they may not have been able to protect themselves, but they end up being the victim of the weapon that they purchased themselves.” On balance, in other words, owning a gun for self-protection—a right at the core of the Second Amendment, as recognized by the Supreme Court—is a bad idea, and you’re deluding yourself if you think otherwise.
6. Support for gun bans. Obama supported Chicago’s handgun ban, which was overturned by the Supreme Court in 2010, and claimed it was consistent with the Second Amendment. He favors a new, broader federal ban on so-called assault weapons, although he does not seem to know what they are. Last night he said the Newtown massacre would have been less lethal if its perpetrator had not been able to obtain “a semiautomatic,” an observation that suggests he joins New York Times columnist Gail Collins in supporting a ban on a category of firearms that includes many hunting rifles and almost all modern handguns aside from revolvers (which Collins claims “are totally inappropriate for either hunting or home defense”). And as Cooper pointed out, Obama admires Australian-style gun control, which features mass confiscation of guns and tight restrictions that would be clearly unconstitutional in this country.
Comrades! If you haven’t yet mastered the skills of doublethink and doublespeak, pay attention to Dear Leader’s glorious example and learn from the best.